Memoirs and Memories

My journey through the roller coaster ride of life
leaving footprints in the sands of time

Thursday, July 08, 2004

Driving on Chennai Highways

Why does driving on the Chennai highways fills me with trepidation everytime?

I had my answer while driving on the NH 45A (ECR) last week. To begin with I was driving at night which made it doubly worse. I am not a fast driver by any means. The maximum I touch is a little over 80kmph even on the desolate ECR which is the favourite haunt for daredevil drivers and riders. Almost every one is intent on breaking the land speed record while driving on ECR regardless of the road worthiness of their vehicles. And the most daredevil of all vehicles are the luxury buses. I am amazed by the fact that these drivers are able to push such giant vehicles at speeds upto 100+kmph on this road.

I happened to be driving a Hyundai Santro with a lousy pickup. Though the highway was free from traffic for most of the time, I was subjected to the sound of luxury buses and cars whipping past me every now and then. The biggest problem while driving on these highways is that the vehicles coming from the opposite direction seldom dim their headlights. It is perenially on high beam making it impossible to see the road ahead.

Most drivers dont seem to have the common courtesy to dip their headlights when approaching vehicles from the opposite side. And when a lorry or a trailer approaches, the driver moves so far into your side of the road that you are forced to get down on the shoulder for safety. Also when vehicles are overtaking each other while coming from the opposite side, even when they see you approaching nobody gives way and you are forced to almost drive off the edge.

Driving on Indian highways requires an iron constitution and endless patience!

<< Home