Memoirs and Memories

My journey through the roller coaster ride of life
leaving footprints in the sands of time

Friday, October 08, 2004

Immortal Picture Stories

Among the many things associated with my childhood, one that finds pride of place is the Amar Chitra Katha comic series. Nothing could beat the feeling I experienced as a child when tucked into bed with a copy of "Jataka tales" or "Tales from the Hitopadesha". In fact, reading the "Tinkle comics" used to be a rite of passage that almost every Indian kid underwent in those days. Throughout my early childhood I continued to devour all the offerings from this esteemed comic book publications. Whether it was the "Panchatantra tales" or the mythology series, they all held equal fascination for me.

What made the Amar Chitra Katha comics a phenomenal success was the use of stories that were relevant to the Indian cultural milieu combined with beautiful illustrations and simple language. The numerous folktales that were a part of these comics, helped in conveying good moral values to the kids in an elegant manner.

The various characters that were regulars on these books enthralled the kids with their deeds. The wit of Nasrudin Hodja, the astuteness of Kapish the monkey and the shrewdness of Kalia the crow left the kids wishing they were as clever as them. Anwar's wicked shenanigans and Raghu's pranks emboldened kids to imitate them, much to their parents' dismay. Tantri the Mantri's doomed plans that always backfired, Shikari Shambu's never ending hunts, Mooshik's escapades and Suppandi's stupidity, the kids just loved it all. Even the evil characters like Chamataka the fox and the dim-witted croc Doob-Doob were lovable.

By asking the kids themselves to contribute to the comics, the editors not only helped nurture the reading habit but also provided an incentive to the kids to develop the art of writing. Speaking from personal experience, my earliest attempt at writing yielded a couple of short stories among which, I sent a few to the publications. My frustration at not seeing my story appear in the next few editions led me to give away my remaining stories to a friend, who promptly mailed them to Amar Chitra Katha. And surprise, surprise....they appeared in the next edition a few weeks later, duly credited to my friend. He never forgets to rub it in even today.

It is a well known fact that Amar Chitra Katha did yeoman service by publishing the mythology series. Never were the Indian epics made easier to read and understand without diminshing the original content. The short stories from the Mahabharata and the Ramayana were retold with all the grandeur and glory found in the original versions.

These days the Hollywood machinery is paying a rich tribute to the comic book heroes of the west by rendering them onto the silver screen in a multitude of films. I wonder why the Indian filmmakers don't follow suit and proceed to revive the memorable characters of Amar Chitra Katha in their movies. That would be a fitting tribute indeed and I'm sure the response would be tremendous not just from the kids but from the adults too, who'd love to revel in the ensuing nostalgia.

As a kid, wherever I went, if my wandering eyes happened to spot a stall selling Amar Chitra Katha stuff, the world would come to an immediate standstill till my parents acquiesced to my fervent requests. The moment the fresh smell of the brand new book hit my olfactory nerves and the lovely illustrations inside lit my eyes up, I was transported into heaven.

Kudos to the editor in chief of India's biggest contributor to childhood reading, Anant Pai. His publications all these years have made many generations of Indians take up the art of reading with fervour. Though Harry Potter and his ilk are ruling the roost these days with their ever increasing fanbase among the kids, the Amar Chitra Katha will always remain, as its name suggests, truly "Immortal"!

<< Home